PDF of Vewlix Tournament Edition Plans

Just last week, commenter Robbert, requested plans for the Vewlix Tournament Edition in PDF download. I had this request many times last year when I first started putting up my worklogs. I was unwilling to commit any more time into producing plans, thinking that anyone that really wanted to build a cabinet would figure out SketchUp and muddle through. But, time has taught me that SketchUp really is something you have to work at and can be quite a barrier.

And I do believe in sharing my projects and process with the community, so I shouldn’t have been content to leave that barrier up. I resolved to create some PDF plans for Robert, and the many others who have asked for them.

Then, miraculously, a PM arrived in my inbox on the Shoryuken forums from Chris (x24) who let me know that the builder he had been working with finished his Vewlix cabinet based on my Tournament Edition SketchUp design that he had turned into PDF plans. He even offered to send me those plans!

Chris (x24)’s Vewlix cabinet

The Download

So, with a huge thanks to Chris (x24), I present to you the Vewlix Tournament Edition PDF plans:

Download Here

The Vewlix Tournament Edition PDF Plans (2.4MB PDF) file courtesy of Chris (x24).

A few notes from me:

• I spoke with Chris about his finished cabinet and he mentioned that he neglected to plan for the holes in the front of the control panel for the USB cables of the Mad Catz Tournament Edition sticks and a hole in the base of the cabinet and the bottom of the control panel to fish those wires through.
  • That’s it for now. Help me grow this section. Check out the plans and ask me any questions you may have in the comments below.

21 Responses to “PDF of Vewlix Tournament Edition Plans”

1. x24 8 June 2010 at 10:50 AM #

I apologize for the colored backgrounds on some of them and how some can fill the whole page and some won’t. I can’t seem to make sketchup “print” out each view the same way I wanted and without showing the colored “space”. If there’s some setting that need to be tweaked to help, please let me know :).

• Preston 4 July 2010 at 3:09 AM #

Thanks for the plans, I know it’s time consuming, but your efforts are appreciated.

Go in to “Window”, then Styles, you’ll choose Shaded with Textures. Your background will remain white, even when rotating objects, showing different planes, and printing.

2. DeeDogg 6 August 2010 at 12:49 PM #

man this is nice! i want to try doing this!

3. 7egend 17 August 2010 at 10:51 AM #

Just want to say thanks for all the hard work you put into making this information availiable, you made my life simple by providing the plans, But I have a question or 2.

Do you have to pull the cabinet out to access the PS3, like if you wanted to put Tekken or Soul Calibur in?

Also, if you do have to pull it out, do you think the cabinet would be structurally sound enough to turn the front section (where your feet would be) into say like a cabinet where you could have 2 doors to access the PS3, store fighting games etc?

I haven’t started building one yet, so I though I would get your take on it since you have it already constructed.

Thanks.

• Donovan 17 August 2010 at 11:05 AM #

Hey, thanks for the interest.

Because of the back angle, there is plenty of room to swap out games w/ the back of the base of the cabinet right up against the wall.

It is also definitely structurally sound enough to put cabinet doors on the front. Many people have. I just went for a clean look for the front since I knew I’d be leaving the back open.

Donovan

4. Justin 26 August 2010 at 7:59 PM #

Hi Donovan,
    I’ve read through almost all your blog posts and will be building my first viewlix. I have experience in woodwork/carpentry so thats not my problem. My issue is getting that nice finish in terms of painting.
    I sent you and email with details of my testing on a regular peice of mdf and it came out with brush marks. Using brands local to me in Australia. Can you please get back to me? very big fan of your work, love the racing cockpit too.
    Once I have the painting in place, Im all set.
    Thanks,
    Justin
    * sent you an email to donovan at donovanmyers.com – got it from a previous comment.

• Donovan 28 August 2010 at 7:59 AM #

Justin,

I recommend the How to paint MDF to a mirror finish thread on the Shoryuken Forums.

However, if that’s too much work for you (as it was for me), I recommend not using brushes at all. Put the primer, paint, and lacquer on using a foam paint roller.

Best of luck on your project,
      Donovan

5. Senso 12 January 2011 at 9:49 AM #

Hello,

Do you have the same but not in inch but in centimeters?

Thank you before for your answare.

Senso.

• Donovan 12 January 2011 at 9:54 AM #

Unfortunately, I do not. These PDF plans were kindly made by a site visitor.

If you look back through my project log, I have a Google SketchUp drawing you can download that was done in metric (MM/CM).

Another option would be to convert all of the dimensions and use some careful rounding. If you’re not sure how, Google will do it for you.

Best,
      Donovan

• Senso 12 January 2011 at 10:25 AM #

Thanks for your answare friend and sorry for my anglish nice work man 😉

i go try whit sketchup

thanks a lot 😉

6. John 14 April 2011 at 8:36 PM #

By any chance you know were I can get the autocad files for vewlix?

thanks

John

7. Titan_X 13 May 2011 at 4:44 PM #

This looks absolutely awesome, Donovan. Thanks for sharing.

Is there any chance you might have plans for this cabinet with a stand-alone control panel rather than the MadCatz TE edition? I’m interested in building a full Vewlix cab using an official vewlix panel. Thanks!

8. bOB 10 July 2011 at 2:58 AM #

thanks to share your pdf plan man 😉

B.

9. Heath 11 August 2011 at 11:01 PM #

hi, just wondering if you knew where to get the graphics for the control panel art?

cheers

10. sebastien 13 February 2015 at 10:29 AM #

hie,
    someone are the plans complete ?
    404 not found 🙁

thanks

• Donovan 13 February 2015 at 2:43 PM #

This is a result of me moving my website to /old and then doing nothing with it. :/

I have corrected this post’s links. Please try again. You want this link, BTW (the one that’s under Download Here in a box).

– Donovan

• Mike 2 April 2015 at 12:47 AM #

do you mind postiing blue prints of the control panel that is suppose to go with that? no idea how to make a custom one to fit that but if you know of a source i can use that would be great, this one doesn’t have any access for USB cords?

• Donovan 20 April 2015 at 11:59 AM #

I am unable to post plans for a control panel at this time.

Access for the USB cords is accomplished with a notch between the back side and the bottom piece.

11. Mike 23 April 2015 at 12:50 PM #

Hey so I am using these blue prints and got into contact with a CNC machine place and they would do it for me but told me the cost would go down if there was a autocad file? is there anything like that for these type of cabs out there? or do you offer this?

• Donovan 13 May 2015 at 9:12 AM #

The original files I posted were the SketchUp files. That’s closer to Autocad. That might be usable for them or exportable into a format that they could use.